One of my favorite sides is sweet potato fries or chips. I eat them way too much.
So one summer evening I decided to mix it up with oven-fried zucchini sticks.
Okay, in truth I still had a lot of zucchini left over from the Des Moines Farmers Market. Zydia the Zucchini had been used to make chocolate zucchini bread, farm fresh veggie pizza, chicken pot pie, zucchini cakes, and zucchini cookies. And yet, she was still around.
The results: very good! A nice change of pace from sweet potato fries.
- Cooking spray
- 1 T whole-wheat flour
- 2 T Panko crumbs
- 1.5 tcornmeal
- dash of garlic salt, pepper, garlic powder
- 1/2 to 1 medium-sized zucchini
- optional: 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 475°F. Coat a cookie sheet with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Chop zucchini into sticks, almost like French fries.
- In a small bowl, combine flours, cornmeal, and other seasonings.
- You can prepare the “sticky” coating of your zucchini one of two ways: either by dousing with cooking spray or dipping in egg white.
- To coat with flour mixture, either roll directly in the bowl in which the mixture was blended or pour coating mixture into Ziploc bag and drop in zucchini sticks. Coat well.
- Arrange on greased sheet, but keep each stick separate from the others
- Bake for about 10 minutes. Remove and turn the zucchini. Continue to bake until golden and just tender, about 10 minutes more.
You’ll want to serve these straight out of the oven, piping hot!
You could get pretty creative with different dipping sauces. I’m a sucker for anything tomato, so I went with an Italian sauce, but you could also try ranch dressing, ketchup, Dijon mustard, etc.