Check out this healthier version of a s’more—a classic American treat for a time of year when every one is all about being “All-American.” You might not be able to roast a macaroon outside, but if you like coconut your tastebuds won’t care, I promise.
S’mores Graham Crackers
- 1 cup plus 2 T whole-wheat flour (or white, or arrowhead mills gf will work, too)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp plus 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp plus 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 to 3 T sucanat (or sugar)
- 2 packets stevia or 2 more T sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 T agave (or maple syrup or molasses)
- 1/4 cup oil (See link for a lower-fat version. Also, I highly recommend unrefined coconut oil for this recipe, but I think vegetable oil would be fine.)
- 2 T water
Combine dry ingredients. Combine wet in a separate bowl, then mix together. Form a ball with your hands (or, if you don’t want to get your hands dirty, put the mixture in a plastic bag and squish into a ball). Place the ball on a piece of wax paper, then place another sheet on top and use a rolling pin to flatten the dough into very thin (graham-cracker) width. Cut into squares or cookie-cuttered shapes, and place on a cookie sheet. Bake at 350 for 12-15 minutes, depending on whether you like your graham crackers super-soft or crispy.