Collegiate Culinaire: Mmm…Mmm…Mocha Cake!
Another extra chocolate-y favorite from Chocolate-Covered Katie that makes one cake to be shared or two little cupcakes.
And yes, that soft yellow frosting on top is my homemade banana ice cream, which is oh-so-simple to make! Just blend half a frozen banana (in slices), 2 small almond milk ice cubes and a dab of coconut cream. Let it refreeze while the cake bakes.
For the cake:
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 tsp cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons spelt flour (or white, or even peanut flour)
- 1/2 tsp instant coffee granules (or go straight chocolate by adding in 1T more cocoa and flour)
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 tsp evaporated cane juice (or brown sugar)
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 stevia packet (or 1 more T sugar)
- 1 tablespoon coconut or canola oil (Lower-cal sub: applesauce or mashed banana.
- 3 tablespoons milk of choice (I love almond milk)
- 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
Combine dry ingredients and mix very, very well. Add liquid, stir, then transfer to a little dish, ramekin, or even a coffee mug. Microwave 45-50 seconds (or more, depending on how powerful your microwave is). If you don’t want to eat it straight out of the dish, be sure to spray your dish first (and then wait for the cake to cool before trying to remove it). If you want it a little ooey-gooey, like a chocolate lava cake, then bake at 375 degrees for 6-7 minutes—perfectly safe since no egg is used. Without any mix-ins, the entire recipe is only 205 calories with oil, 140 if you used an oil substitute.